Dr Bill Primrose: Consultant
Bill is a PhD biological chemist with 28 years' postdoctoral experience at the interface between chemistry and the life sciences, and between academia and industry. He has a broadly-based background in SMEs across a range of life science areas, with a particular interest and experience in small molecule drug discovery and development. He leads Ithaka's activities in these areas.
- Bill has supervisory, line management, project management, and business development experience, knowledge of a number of therapeutic areas and direct personal understanding of building innovative companies from scratch.
- He led medicinal chemistry and structural biology teams at PanTherix, the antibiotic drug discovery spin-out from the University of Leicester which he co-founded. He was active in all aspects of the company's development, including fund-raising, licensing and initiating industrial and academic collaborations.
- From 2007 to 2012, Bill was CEO of Theryte Ltd, an Ithaka client company, developing novel oncology drugs. He secured new private equity and grant funding, and initiated partnering and licensing discussions with a number of biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies.
- Bill is CEO of CYP Design Ltd, a spin-out company from De Montfort University, developing proprietary technology for the expression of human recombinant Cytochrome P450 enzymes (CYPs) for use in screening of drug candidates.
- In 2005, Bill and an ex-colleague from PanTherix founded SioKem Ltd, a contract chemistry provider to UK and European biotechnology companies and research institutes that offers access to high-quality, affordable organic synthetic facilities in China.
- Other work carried out with colleagues at Ithaka includes business strategy development and fund raising for client companies, technology and market assessment, and due diligence projects.
- Bill acts as an expert evaluator and rapporteur for EC FP7 grant proposals.