- An academic at the university had developed an novel electronic device that had a number of potential applications in the treatment of cardiovascular disease. The device had been successfully demonstrated in animals but the university wanted to understand the market, potential clinical applications and routes to market for the device. Ithaka reviewed the project with respect to the indications for the device, the benefits compared to current technologies, market size and the likely response of the major companies active in the market that might be interested in licensing or purchasing the technology.
- The University was better able to select the indication to focus on and to determine what level of evidence would be required to attract the attention of a major company active in the area. This information was used to submit grant applications to support the further development of the device.
Client: ProteinLogic Ltd, a biomarker discovery and exploitation business
- Paul Rodgers was appointed Executive Chairman in 2011 to lead a review of the business strategy and to lead fund raising and business development activities.
- The Company has focused its strategy on the development and marketing of diagnostic tests that address key unmet medical needs in infection and inflammatory diseases.
- The lead product candidate, a diagnostic test for tuberculosis, is being developed with the aim of initially obtaining regulatory approval and subsequent marketing of the test in Europe. Partnerships are being explored for other markets with a high incidence of TB.
- Grant funding has been obtained from the UK Technology Strategy Board for feasibility studies on a simple diagnostic blood test to stratify patients with chronic hepatitis B infection.